Monday, November 3, 2008

I translate "Civic Engagement" as "waste of time." or alternativly, thing that others enjoy but I am most likely to loath (like math and self-mutilation) I don't volunteer... ever. I suspect that in the context of Paidea this will mean getting together as a group and helping some belaugred institiution like a school district or non-profit deal with its overburden. As for what I expect from this, I expect to have some fun with everyone while trying to forget that I'm working without pay. I don't hope to gain or accomplish anything, I won't delude myself into thinking that the aid the few of us provide every once and a while is anything but a symbolic gesture of goodwill. I would most prefer to just talk with old people at retirement centers. I think this would dovetail nicely with "understanding human behavior" as I would ask them what mistakes they made in their lives and what, looking back, they would prioritize more. I'm pretty arrogant but I always value the experience and specialized knowlege others can provide. I'm a bit obssesed with how quickly my youth seems to be leaving and I would value their insight into what challenges lay ahead. All my grandparents are dead and I don't really have that much contact with old people so this would be escpecially valuable for me. As for worries and concerns I'm just worried this will be even less fun than I imagined. I only have a short time on this earth, I'd like to make the most of it and focus on what makes me happy not helping other nameless people.

No comments: