Thursday, November 20, 2008

On campus event

I went to a biology presentation by Dr. Nancey Street the Associate Dean of the Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences at UT Southwestern Medical Center. She presented some information about their graduate program and a few examples of some of the research being done there. I can't wait to go to graduate school (not there and certainly not in biology) as it seems much more independent and in-depth. I really don't like molecular biology (I'm more of a big-picture person) so the presentation wasn't really fantastic, but that said, I have always loved biology and the concepts were interesting enough on an abstract level. I definitely wouldn't have gone if I didn't have to, but I'm glad I did as I have a much better appreciation of what the science students here go through and what their classes are like. This was also the first time I've really had graduate school discussed and I'm really anticipating it. As for the subject matter, I learned about pathogen fighting, gene testing, microbiology and LDL defects that may cause heart problems. I like the Idea of reasearch a lot. I could see myself in love with a subject and pursuing a solution endlessly even if I meet with problems. I think I could really get into that mindset where even after work, my life is consumed by this Question. I've always been obsessivly curious so I think reasearch is a good place for me. On the other hand, I really hate micro biology so that and other medical approaches are off the table for me. Also, I'm not sure I would like the lack of human contact or the montony of the tests themselves. Overall, I think being an anaylist is the right place for me. I get human contact, a subject that interests me, obsessive questioning, independent study, and I get to have that feeling at the end that I really did something. I think that would be the best part, having completed a field of reasearch, To see the results like a display of your greatness. That would be really cool. I am really glad I had this assignment and I wish sometimes I didn't like the humanities so much so that I would force myself to study other things. Right now I tend to head in a very specific direction (political science) with a broad base (philosophy/History/Economics/Psychology) but I don't really get out of those subjects much. overall, this was boring but fun. strange contradiction.- David

1 comment:

Metro Coyote said...

Dude, I totally understand about what you said in regards to loving the Humanities too much because I certainly enjoy biology and math as well but I just don't make time for them between all of the random humanities courses I'm taking. Breaking my padre's heart, I'm sure. At any rate, do you have any grad schools in mind? I'm definitely thinking about William & Mary though Harvard is the dim and distant dream.